From the fabricator: The letter to the editor
- By the way, the rest of the magazine this month was strong, as always. If you are not getting it, you need to make that happen, so sign up or get it via the app.
- One of Glass Magazine's big focuses this month was GlassBuild America, and I was blown away at the layout of some of the products that will be on display. I know I have been promoting it relentlessly, but my gosh, seeing it in the magazine really hit home. You have everything from one-man glass lifters to glass flooring to tons of new hardware options, and so on. Hundreds and hundreds of new and diverse products will be on display. In any case, the time is now. By the way, the hotel block was extended after so many folks read my blog last Tuesday and must have swamped the system. So, you now have til August 10 to get the great rates. Ya gotta be there…
- Did you see the rankings of the “happiest places in the world” that came out the end of last week? The US of A came in at #11. My good friends in Canada checked in at #5 (though if they ever do “best dressed country,” Canada wins hands down because of Walker Glass). The top four were Denmark, Finland, Norway and the Netherlands. By the way, the U.S. has had the same score and percentages since 1992, which is really funny because I am sure a lot of people think our world and country have changed pretty dramatically since then.
- For the most part, I have been very positive and optimistic about our industry economic trends. I have been cheerleading like crazy. More recently, however, I have been struggling to remain positive and have turned towards the pessimistic. Even the positive news from AIA last week that 2013 will bring some decent growth to our world did not impress me. I'm just not feeling it; I have been built up and let down so many times…
- There have been tons of amazing moments at the Olympics so far, but one of my favorites was the vault by McKayla Moroney in the gymnastics team competition. She is a vault specialist I guess, and her main reason for being there was to come through with a jaw-dropping performance… and she did… and then some. When I saw it, I was blown away: pure, amazing perfection. Also, if you had the chance to see NBC’s look back at the 1996 gymnastic team (Kerri Strug and the Magnificent 7), that was excellent TV.
- The NFL has kicked off their pre-season. Schools will be back in session soon. Seriously, is summer over? Is it me, or did it just fly by?
Read on for links and video of the week...
The author is founder of Sole Source Consultants, a consulting firm for the building products industry that specializes in marketing, branding, communication strategy and overall reputation management, as well as website and social media, and codes and specifications. E-mail him at MaxP@SoleSourceConsultants.com.
The opinions expressed here are those of the individual author and do not necessarily reflect those of the National Glass Association, Glass Magazine editors, or other glassblog contributors.