From the fabricator: Panic or not?
Last week, we saw yet another rough batch of results from the AIA's Architecture Billings Index, featuring the third straight underwhelming month. The fear now is: when you string three months together, that can constitute a trend. according to experts. On the positive side, at this time last year, the ABI was just as bad. Yet, current business levels have been solid to very good. A majority of the industry is busy right now, so possibly the attention paid to the ABI is not what it's cracked up to be, and maybe it's not that accurate of a metric. No matter how you slice it, we all know there are holes in our economic world right now and that even with current increased business levels, no one is confident they can be sustained long-term. The fundamentals have to come back, and hopefully, that happens sooner than later. Until then, we'll track everything and anything we can to get a vision of what is still to come.
- Congrats to my friend Dr. Helen Sanders of Sage. All in one week, she appears in front of Congress and is featured in a story in The Wall Street Journal. Excellent. Just remember us little people Helen, and remember the little blogger that did one of the first Q&A's with you. I guess that is the rightful path though: Glass Magazine to Congress to WSJ. I love it!
- GlassBuild America is coming up, and when I made my travel arrangements, I was very pleasantly surprised at how inexpensive the flights to Atlanta are. Trust me, I know how tight everyone's budgets are (mine basically doesn't exist!) so seeing the deals for Atlanta was pretty awesome. So, if you are on the fence, go check the rates and book. For those prices, you can't afford not to be there!
- Speaking of GBA, one of the seminars I am looking forward to is the BIPV one. Solar is something so many people are curious about in our world, and the lineup for this seminar is very good, moderated by the esteemed Richard Voreis. If you have any curiosity at all about this emerging technology, this seminar will be a huge help.
- Flying as much as I have in my past, I thought I had seen it all, but this week I saw something new. I watched as a flight attendant had a serious verbal altercation with what had be an 80-plus-year-old lady. They went at it for at least 10 minutes and the flight attendant almost walked off the plane! The argument was as we were loading. I have no clue what started it but talk about watching a wreck happen. Luckily, cooler heads prevailed. You had to be there...
- Looks like we'll have football on time this year... so why am I so unenthusiastic about it?
- Last this week: How about a hand for all of the folks who are working in the field or in the plants right now during this massive heat wave? Those folks are the real heroes of our business anyway, but especially during conditions like this. Stay cool and safe folks!
Write Max at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The opinions expressed here are those of the individual author and do not necessarily reflect those of the National Glass Association, Glass Magazine editors, or other glassblog contributors.