From the fabricator: Seriously conflicted
Instead of starting with industry-related stuff this week, I’m leading off with the Lance Armstrong story. I am seriously conflicted here. On one hand, he could be a fraud because of doping. On the other hand, maybe he truly is innocent and is just giving up the fight. I do feel he is the victim of a witch hunt, and he has done a ton for cancer research.
I also cannot stand that our government wastes so much money chasing the Armstrongs and Clemens of the world. I think we have bigger problems than athletes taking performance-enhancing drugs. As for Armstrong, something just isn’t right here. He passed test after test for YEARS. He is being hung out to dry with no real proof. How is this right? Where is the smoking gun? Then again, why did he give up? In any case, this is a tough one, because he has worked hard on behalf of cancer research and other charitable causes. If he did cheat, however, how can you admire that?
- News from the folks at Southern Aluminum Finishing on their succession planning: just smart business from really smart and classy people. I am big fan of the McClatchey family, and they do things the right way, in my opinion. This approach is just another example of such.
- Also great news about one of my favorite people in the industry, Cameron Scripture of Viracon. I noticed he picked up a new gig within the company as western region architectural manager. Very cool; he will do quite well in that role as long as he isn't cast in some blockbuster picture with those movie star good looks!
- Well, the Architecture Billings Index got better but was still underwater for July. I’d like to be done paying attention to these things, but I just can’t break my habit. I just hope they are wrong!
- The weekly GlassBuild America update: the show is coming up quick, and the rush to register is on. In the past several weeks, I have hit on all the reasons why it is a must-attend event, so I won’t belabor the point other than to say, it is a MUST if you want to network and grow yourself and your business. Plain and simple. There’s still time, flights and hotels available. See you there.
- Great article here on one of the major solar heavyweights that's starting to run into some serious trouble. The solar sector still has its positives (obviously what Guardian and Pythagoras are doing counts in that category), but there are some dark clouds too.
- As I write this, Hurricane Isaac is bearing down on Florida and moving north. Hope everyone stays safe!!
- So it is smack dab in the middle of Fantasy Football draft season. This week, people will be doing it up. I know my pal Scott Surma has done a bunch of drafts already, and I am still waiting on my buddy Cash to invite me to play again. And this year is the first one I can remember where three different guys could be #1 with Aaron Rodgers, Arian Foster and LeSean McCoy all going atop the drafts. Last year, I took the year off from fantasy. This year, I am back…
The author is founder of Sole Source Consultants, a consulting firm for the building products industry that specializes in marketing, branding, communication strategy and overall reputation management, as well as website and social media, and codes and specifications. E-mail him at MaxP@SoleSourceConsultants.com.
The opinions expressed here are those of the individual author and do not necessarily reflect those of the National Glass Association, Glass Magazine editors, or other glassblog contributors.