From the Fabricator: The True Industry Awards
It’s that time again; the extremely popular Glass Magazine Awards are back. Like last year, I am very excited for the people portion of the awards since this is a great way to recognize the talent in our world. Plus, the ballot is open to the industry, and it’s great to have a say in such a prestigious award. So if you have not seen the info yet on the Glass Magazine Awards, here’s the link. Check it out and start nominating!
- One guy who should get a nomination in the Glass Magazine Awards Best Sales Rep category is Dave Michaeli of AGC. I thought of him this week when I saw his alma mater having its pro tryout day. All those guys striving to be an Idaho State Hall of Famer just like him.
- It’s March Madness! Sadly, my alma mater just missed getting back to the dance, but no matter, it will be a blast to follow as always. My picks for the final four are Louisville, Ohio State, Florida and Miami, with Louisville winning it all. Remember, I did pick the Super Bowl right this year, so I am on a roll…LOL.
- The consumer confidence index saw a major decline in March due to several factors, including the sequester and gas prices. In my opinion, it was a matter of time before the unconscionable gas gouging finally bit into the economy. Why no one of importance seems to pay attention to the games the oil companies are playing is beyond me. Unfortunately, the trickle down will continue to be a drag on the economy. And we are seeing it in our industry, with another set of price increases on the way.
- Great piece here from Susan MacKay and Paul Gary on the Affordable Care Act. The more you know, the better you will be. Susan, along with the excellent Matt Johnson, will present at the upcoming Glass Management Institute. If you are in business, you will not want to miss their presentations, as well as the others that are lined up. When it comes to understanding new laws like this, you just can’t afford to miss it.
- For the first time in who knows how many years, I missed the annual GANA BEC conference this week. Schedule conflicts did me in. I hate missing all of the folks I usually see there. Hopefully, I’ll catch up with everyone at AIA and GlassBuild America.
- Last this week, I struggle to remember birthdays as I get older, but I always remember that St. Patrick’s Day is also the birthday of a good guy and former co-worker of mine, Dave Gillikin of Hartung Glass Industries. Hope you had a great one Dave!
The author is founder of Sole Source Consultants, a consulting firm for the building products industry that specializes in marketing, branding, communication strategy and overall reputation management, as well as website and social media, and codes and specifications. E-mail him at MaxP@SoleSourceConsultants.com.
The opinions expressed here are those of the individual author and do not necessarily reflect those of the National Glass Association, Glass Magazine editors, or other glassblog contributors.