BEC Registration Opens, Job Moves, Cool Website and More
And down the stretch we come, with just one month left in 2019! I cannot believe how fast this year seemed to go. A bunch of quick hits this week vs. big stories so here we go…
Registration is now open for BEC 2020. This year the event is in Nashville, and the early schedule is incredible. Topics that are crucial for the glazing contracting community are on tap. This year the schedule is different than past years. DO NOT skip the second day, as it’s loaded with content. More on that schedule and its specifics to come. In the meantime get registered today HERE.
- One more note on BEC. One of the keynotes was revealed, and it’s Joe Puishys, president and CEO of Apogee Enterprises. Joe spoke a few years ago and was absolutely awesome. It will be great to have him back again! I am serious when I say it’s worth going to BEC just to see Joe, let alone everything else you get while there.
- The annual Vanceva World of Colors contest is up and running again. This is one of my favorite competitions because it brings in some of the most amazing projects using decorative laminated glass. The deadline to enter is end of February. More info can be found HERE.
- Good news from the latest Architectural Billings Index. October brought in a score of 52.9, which was the best one in a while. New project inquiries also came in very strong. This was a nice bounce back after a few so-so months. The red flags still remain as the Northeast and Midwest still posted sluggish individual numbers.
- To my old friends and co-workers Dan Danese and Bob Cummings who both secured great new positions in the last few weeks. Dan was named Commercial Products Director at American Insulated Glass while Bob was promoted to President and CEO of Consolidated Glass Holdings. Both will do tremendous jobs and are fantastic supporters of our industry. Very good news!
- And one more… congratulations go to Mike Wothe on his appointment of President at Western Window Systems. Fabulous guy and strong company- really good combo there!
- Cool website here at www.glassgadget.com from Showcase Installations. Neat items (mostly for the shower installer) that can really be a huge help on efficiency and safety. I especially like the truck rack safety tool. I saw it modeled on a Facebook post and was impressed by its simplicity while offering that extra level of safety. Good stuff and well done by the team here!
- Last this week. Did you know that 49 billion robocalls a year are made to phones all over the world? That number blows me away. Really an incredible waste of people’s time and resources and with so many of those scams (the biggest one right now is the “affordable health care” one). You can only imagine how many people are getting ripped off. I’ve always lamented the fact that so much brain power and talent is used for the wrong reasons and this is yet another example.
Max Perilstein is founder of Sole Source Consultants, a consulting firm for the building products industry that specializes in marketing, branding, communication strategy and overall reputation management, as well as website and social media, and codes and specifications. E-mail him at MaxP@SoleSourceConsultants.com.
The opinions expressed here are those of the individual author and do not necessarily reflect those of the National Glass Association, Glass Magazine editors, or other glassblog contributors.