Building Safety Month Begins in Two Weeks
The two-week countdown has begun for the International Code Council’s 43rd annual Building Safety Month. The campaign, designed to increase awareness of building safety issues in homes, schools and other buildings, will feature five weekly themes:
- Week One: Building Safety Starts at Home (May 1-7) highlights how building safety impacts our everyday lives.
- Week Two: Building Safety Professionals and You (May 8-14) clarifies the role of building safety professionals in our communities.
- Week Three: Preparing your Community (May 15-21) focuses on how to prepare for natural disasters and other hazardous events.
- Week Four: Advocating for your Community (May 22-28) provides tips and tools to advocate for local building safety.
- Week Five: Solving Challenges Together (May 29-31) illustrates what countries are doing to address issues such as water scarcity and clean buildings.
“This year’s theme, ‘It Starts with You’, invites people to consider how building safety impacts nearly every part of their lives including their homes and families,” says ICC President Michael Wich. “During Building Safety Month, we encourage people to become more aware of the building codes and standards that protect us from harm. We hope it leads to more discussions around what we can all do to create safer spaces to live, work and play.”